Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Return to my fwfr
Frequently Asked Questions Click for advanced search
 All Forums
 FWFR Related
 Reviews
 Where's your most recently approved review with...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  02:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I joined August 31, 2006, and I'm fairly pleased to say that the latest review for which I have half as many votes as my top (50), was from January 6, 2008. I am also really happy with the good reception it was given.
Go to Top of Page

Pope George Ringo 
"the Pope on stage"

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  15:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am certainly one of those who's big hits came early. Like say, The Eagles or Billy Joel, my first greatest hits album would be a whole lot better than my second. Anyway, here's my most recent with 1/2:

http://fwfr.com/display.asp?do=mr&uid=3492&id=3027&Mode=&Sort=3&Rows=100&Dir=1&Start=1

Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  22:26:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by demonic

quote:
Originally posted by Salopian
Everyone's quality goes down because if one will have an idea for an old film then it's not in most cases going to take years and years to come along (though of course some will do). So that mainly leaves new films (to the world or oneself) for new reviews.

I don't think I really follow what you mean... can you explain again?

I have ideas for old films on a regular basis, it just depends on when I devote some attention to the subject. I review on a film by film basis, mainly after a cinema, DVD or TV viewing. My recent "Walk the Line" review you liked came after re-watching on DVD, three years after I saw it in the cinema.

Sure, there will be plenty of cases like this, but my own impression is that it is more likely that the majority of the best ideas will come sooner rather than later.
quote:
I also don't believe as an example that my, or yours, or Sal's most recent 100 reviews are significantly less competent or worthwhile that our first 100, simply that perceptions on the fourum have changed as to what a vote worthy review is. Maybe we're just harder to please.

Well, my later ones are certainly weaker than my first ones for a variety of reasons. As well as the general ones I've covered, reasons specific to me are that I am not particularly interested in film compared to everyone else here and thus have exhausted a larger proportion of the films with which I am familiar, and that I had recently worked in a pun-heavy job and so was both in the mindset and able to recycle some of my own pre-existing wordplay.

I don't think perceptions have changed, for me at least. My perception was always that some good wordplay used in a particular way was worth a vote once. For the same idea to get another vote later, it needs to also bring something new.
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  00:24:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salo9ian
As well as the general ones I've covered, reasons specific to me are that I am not particularly interested in film compared to everyone else here and thus have exhausted a larger proportion of the films with which I am familiar

Really?? For someone not particularly interested in film you do seem to spend an inordinate amount of time in the cinema, certainly more than I do, and I absolutely love film going. I'm quite surprised by that.
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  02:05:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's cheap and I'm poor. However, I'm only less interested in film than other people here. I'm still probably more into it than most people.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Posted - 10/27/2008 :  05:45:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started out here in late December 2005 and my top page is also filled with mostly 2006 reviews. The newest one with half of my top voted would be this little piece of blasphamy that is dated December 19, 2006.

The newest review I have on my top page is from October 30, 2007.

Edited by - ChocolateLady on 10/27/2008 05:55:30
Go to Top of Page

BiggerBoat 
"Pass me the harpoon"

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  16:57:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopixn

It's cheap and I'm poor.

As long as you don't buy the bucket of fizzy sugar water.

quote:

However, I'm only less interested in film than other people here. I'm still probably more into it than most people.

You're much more interested than me - I dabble and can just about keep up with you film aficionados. When I met up with Baffy and Demonic I felt most ignorant. Their taunting didn't help...

Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  17:09:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BiggerBoat

When I met up with Baffy and Demonic I felt most ignorant. Their taunting didn't help...

Bigger Boat's a sissy
Bigger Boat's a sissy

Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  17:54:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

As long as you don't buy the bucket of fizzy sugar water.

Yup, it's a terrible rip-off. I know from my usher days that that concessions are where cinemas make almost all of their money. However, I was extremely thirsty the other day and was pleasantly surprised that the largest soft drink size was 'only' �2.10 at the P.C.C. I think that's about half the price of normal cinemas.
quote:
You're much more interested than me - I dabble and can just about keep up with you film aficionados.

I dunno -- the vast majority of the films I have been able to score on here come from the last few years, when I have had a Cineworld card. I suppose I am into Bollywood films but that's mainly for their visual and to some degree linguistic content. I came to this site wholly for the wordplay, and maybe a certain amount of interest in film has rubbed off -- although I would never go so far as to watch a film without F.W.F.R. in mind, except perhaps Brokeback Mountain. I do find that film ignorance is quite a big disadvantage. People like noncentz and BaftaBabe have so many film connections in their heads that they can think of angles for reviews that would pass me by.

Edited by - Salopian on 10/28/2008 17:55:12
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  18:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopixn
However, I was extremely thirsty the other day and was pleasantly surprised that the largest soft drink size was 'only' �2.10 at the P.C.C. I think that's about half the price of normal cinemas.

Got to love the PCC though. �1.50 before 5pm for a film just a month or two old is a great reason to celebrate.
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  18:45:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's frustrating though when something I want to see only has peak performances! �3.50 seems so expensive in comparison. But yes, it's a great thing. And the double seats at the back are awesome.
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  18:49:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 9afta9abe

quote:

When I met up with Baffy and Demonic I felt most ignorant. Their taunting didn't help...

Bigger Boat's a sissy
Bigger Boat's a sissy

I don't remember taunting. I remember poking with a sharp stick and cackling...

I don't know though... I love film and I like to watch a lot of them, but I'm no where near as well versed as BB. There are some hefty gaps in my viewing. I've never seen "The Sound of Music". Or "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly". Or "Rashomon" or "The Searchers". Or "Gandhi", "Harvey" or "Frankenstein". "La Strada", or "8 1/2", or "La Dolce Vita".
Worse I've never even seen "Big Momma's House 2....
Go to Top of Page

Airbolt 
"teil mann, teil maschine"

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  23:33:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dem9nic

quote:
Originally posted by 9afta9abe

quote:

Bigger Boat's a sissy
Bigger Boat's a sissy

I don't remember taunting. I remember poking with a sharp stick and cackling...

I don't know though... I love film and I like to watch a lot of them, but I'm no where near as well versed as BB. There are some hefty gaps in my viewing. I've never seen "The Sound of Music". Or "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly". Or "Rashomon" or "The Searchers". Or "Gandhi", "Harvey" or "Frankenstein". "La Strada", or "8 1/2", or "La Dolce Vita".
Worse I've never even seen "Big Momma's House 2....

Well, in that case i haven't seen " Citizen Kane" but have seen "Taxi 3". I draw the line at Mark Dascasos tho!

Edited by - Airbolt on 10/28/2008 23:37:32
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000