Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Return to my fwfr
Frequently Asked Questions Click for advanced search
 All Forums
 FWFR Related
 Reviews
 Where's your most recently approved review with...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  02:55:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... at least half the votes of your best?

It's clear from Airbolt's thread that people's most voted reviews are near the beginning of their time here, so I thought it would be interesting to see how severe that skewing is.

Approved 13th October 2004. I was quite shocked by that. I knew that most of my good reviews were early, but I didn't realise that every single one of my reviews from all these later years was so low. That most recent one is also the lowest of those above halfway. Lower down on my top page there are a sprinkling from 2005 and 2006, two from 2003 and one from 2007, but everything else is from 2004.

Edited by - Salopian on 10/24/2008 03:03:37

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  03:02:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Started FWFR Apr 9, 2004
Highest review most recently approved with at least half of my top voted reviews votes is this one dated March 12, 2005.
Go to Top of Page

Beanmimo 
"August review site"

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  09:24:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup Sal(opian),

I found that pretty much my entire first page of highest votes were from my first 18 months on the site and most of them from my first year with the clear exception of another Michael Jackson stroke of genius in this one!!

31 July 2008...The Dark Knight

First approved review May 26th 2005

Ah I was just thinking that OF COURSE our earlier reviews will have more votes due to a longer exposure time!!!

Edited by - Beanmimo on 10/24/2008 13:35:45
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  10:13:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joined March 2006

Most recently approved on
May 2007 with exactly half the votes of my highest voted.

Go to Top of Page

Airbolt 
"teil mann, teil maschine"

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  11:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm very front loaded on this criteria. Only 8 of 900 reviews fall above the "Top Review divided by two ".

I joined in Jul 2004, had top review ( 49 ) in Aug 2004 and three more 25+ reviews in 2004.

Where's the magic gone?

Edited by - Airbolt on 10/25/2008 00:34:18
Go to Top of Page

Larry 
"Larry's time / sat merrily"

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  12:54:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Most votes, July 2009

Most recent half-or-more votes, a couple of weeks ago.
Go to Top of Page

Whippersnapper. 
"A fourword thinking guy."

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  13:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Larry

Most votes, July 2009

Wow! A psychic amongst us!

My latest half-top-vote from 09JUL07

Incidentally, can anyone top my total of 156 reviews with half or more votes of their top review?

Edited by - Whippersnapper. on 10/24/2008 13:24:25
Go to Top of Page

Larry 
"Larry's time / sat merrily"

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  17:09:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't beat you in numbers, Whipper, but I can in percentages --

Almost 9% of my reviews have votes that are half or more of my top review.

Edit - Crap. Somebody just voted for my top review, so now I don't have as many half-or-betters. Now it's just more than 6.5%

Edited by - Larry on 10/24/2008 17:18:17
Go to Top of Page

BiggerBoat 
"Pass me the harpoon"

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  17:34:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan 8 2007 and 49 reviews that have at least half the votes of my top review.
Go to Top of Page

Whippersnapper. 

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  18:17:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Larry

Crap. Somebody just voted for my top review, so now I don't have as many half-or-betters. Now it's just more than 6.5%

The rotten bastards!

Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  23:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only 23/1648 = approximately 1.4 per cent of my reviews have at least half the votes of my top one.
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 10/25/2008 :  03:28:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My most recent half-top is from February 2007 for this one.

Interestingly only 14 of my top 100 reviews are from after my first year (2006), and only this single review is from 2008. I'm pretty sure my work hasn't declined that dramatically!

I'm sure the reason must be fewer regular forumites taking part in FYC. When I joined the average number of was around 30 week in week out, these days it's more frequently around 20. That's going to make a big difference to how your best new reviews get pushed up the pile. I do also think there's more cautious voting going on than there was back then. Don't know why.

edited: for my poor grasp of mathematics.

Edited by - demonic on 10/26/2008 01:47:57
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 10/25/2008 :  13:23:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, 28 isn't at least half of your top review so it's not that one.

Everyone's quality goes down because if one will have an idea for an old film then it's not in most cases going to take years and years to come along (though of course some will do). So that mainly leaves new films (to the world or oneself) for new reviews.

An even bigger issue is that even if one thinks of a new idea, it's now much less likely to be wholly original on the site. I give fewer votes now as there are so many jokes that I recognize.
Go to Top of Page

Whippersnapper. 

Posted - 10/25/2008 :  17:18:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by demonic

I do also think there's more cautious voting going on than there was back then. Don't know why.

Lack of originality is one reason. Of course originality becomes progressively more difficult as the site matures, but that's the reality we live with.

Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  01:46:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian
Everyone's quality goes down because if one will have an idea for an old film then it's not in most cases going to take years and years to come along (though of course some will do). So that mainly leaves new films (to the world or oneself) for new reviews.

I don't think I really follow what you mean... can you explain again?

I have ideas for old films on a regular basis, it just depends on when I devote some attention to the subject. I review on a film by film basis, mainly after a cinema, DVD or TV viewing. My recent "Walk the Line" review you liked came after re-watching on DVD, three years after I saw it in the cinema.

quote:
Originally posted by Whippersnapper
Lack of originality is one reason. Of course originality becomes progressively more difficult as the site matures, but that's the reality we live with.

I guess it's hard to be fresh with every review, but I do believe that there are great un-mined puns for every film waiting to be found, even if it's a film that has already been reviewed to death.

I also don't believe as an example that my, or yours, or Sal's most recent 100 reviews are significantly less competent or worthwhile that our first 100, simply that perceptions on the fourum have changed as to what a vote worthy review is. Maybe we're just harder to please.
Go to Top of Page

Yukon 
"Co-editor of FWFR book"

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  02:13:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I first started on FWFR more than three years ago, it wasn't out of the ordinary to get 20 votes during a FYC round because there were about 30 regulars. Now, getting 15 is almost impossible.
Still, I've had a few get 19 votes this year:
I'm proud of these ones and feel if they were written three years ago, they'd have about 40 votes by now.

Story of Alexander Graham Bell: "Bell finds his calling"

Killer Bees: "Slaughterhouse Hive"

Heath Ledger Profile: "I Am Ledger"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000